Monday, June 10, 2013

Day 5 of 14 of pre op

Things are going normal. Pretty boring weekend. I stuck to the diet will and I even found the V8 juice with caffeine. It doesn't taste amazing but it gives me the caffeine I need so I drink it.

Today is my sister in law's birthday so I went down to Queen Creek to make a birthday cake for her. I wasn't even tempted to cheat. I brought a shake and tomatoes and celery. If I felt the need to snack I had one of those. My sister in law and I like to make personalized birthday cakes for each member of the family. We have kind of played with fondant and other things to try and make them cool. They are obviously by no means professional, just something fun. She requested a scrabble board cake. Very challenging! Haha It definitely didn't come out how I pictured it, but she liked it.

Tomorrow is my pre op appointment and I was just called to be reminded of it about an hour ago. I had NO idea that my full payment was due tomorrow! I am scrambling. Mom and I were not prepared for that. I'm REALLY hoping that we don't have to push surgery back. Mom already has plane tickets bought... I'm sure it will work out fine. I'm just mildly freaking out.

I did something last night for the first time, I made and ate Tilapia! I DON'T eat fish but I was only on day 3 and already getting tired of chicken. To make it, I sprayed the skillet with non stick spray and heated it to medium heat. I rinse and patted dry the fish, salted and peppered both sides and threw it on. I cooked it for about 4 minutes on one side after squeezing lemon juice on it and flipped it and cooked it another three minutes. Only a few of the bites were really fishy tasting but all in all, I'd make it again.

Do you guys eat fish? How do you cook it?

Day 5 is almost over. Thank goodness this pre op diet is actually going fairly quickly!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for experimenting cooking new things! I like fish (a lot) as long as it doesn't have bones. Hubs is allergic, so I don't tend to cook it - the smell even makes him feel sick. I'll make it if he's gone/work travel. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have a lot of great one person healthy frozen meals, including fish ones - I get those sometimes. They have one with salmon and orzo I like. I'm still working with an empty band and have a pretty big appetite. I THINK when I get some restriction, the portion of the salmon meal might even be one I'd have to cut in half. Anyway, really high protein/low cal. I like to squeeze lime on it, and I use things like lemon pepper, because I have to watch sodium too (high blood pressure issue.) Another thing I do that is quick and easy, that I used to hate/be a snob about really, is canned fish now. I buy canned crab, salmon, and just tuna - I like Trader Joe's brands best. I'll mix it with laughing cow cheeses, or fage plain yogurt, or cottage cheese, garlic, lime, grated cheese, all kinds of things when I was on the soft diet stage, and then heat it. Yum. More ways to get soft protein and vary flavors.

    Can't wait to hear about your pre-op appointment! Hope you can work out the payment stuff, sorry that is all so stressful. It will be good when it is paid for and that part is behind you at least.

    Salsa is good on fish too, if you want to cover the flavor, lol (it tends to get fishier the less fresh it is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure things will work out fine, try not to worry. Keep us posted on the pre op appointment. :)

    Mmmm, tilapia is tasty. I used to buy the frozen filets at Sam's Club. They microwave easily with lemon pepper & a small bit of salt. I've never cooked fresh tilapia but I'd likely cook it similar to the way I cook salmon: fry pan, olive oil & either mint or rosemary. I heat the oil over medium & cook (covered) about 3-5 min each side until done. It comes out so moist!

    ReplyDelete